The story on the story in the story — human | brand layering: passion, fire, color, sensation, context and meaning.
There is the seen surface; and there is what lies beneath — in shadow, use, care, overlay and redrawing.
I drew these for the Rodarte brand — human — story on story. Brand — story on story.
When you’re considering a story, the legend of reading into path and procession, marvelment and wonder, embracement and enchantment — you read into the content on a first take, another scanned study — another review, a deeper dive; and you go in and inward, drawn into the depth, the heart of the telling.
But like a human — telling his or her story — there is the first take. And then successive layers of extrapolation — and the interpolation of each telling. More is learned, and another layer is uncovered.
Human brand story works:
• I work in stocks.
• I work in stocks and trading, more to international funding.
• My role is in supporting organizations in their transitioning and investments strategy for humanitarian causes, since the time I’ve been working in Africa and the Middle East.
• As a writer, I’ve been blogging about my experiences and taking photographs about my travels exploring funding and investment for an international fiscal consulting group that works towards creating sustainable strategies that support the earth and human and natural ecosystems.
• I’m doing this in following the footsteps of my mother — as well as my father, a world traveler and investment banker.
Every part of the story, deepens the telling and layers the content. For a human brand — this can be just the beginning of thinking, and rethinking the labeling of experience in content.
Brand story works:
• We make boots.
• We make boots with a specially selected leather.
• We are bootmakers that believe in the feet of our customers and the strength of our design and product to fit them.
• We are a family of bootmakers, working together for many years — we select the leather, design the patterning, supervise the leather preparation and stitching ourselves and run the shops that we manage with our family and friends.
• We are the best bootmakers in the world — our values lie in the long care of our relationships with our clients, their friends, and finally — their families. Every piece of leather is gathered from our farm, we supervise the detailing of every single ingredient and aspect of our designs, since we live the life of bootmakers — a two thousand year old legacy that we have built upon, improved and brought to the highest state of the art.
As a writer, strategist, visualizer — and a calligrapher — I’m curious about how people read and experience these stories. That art, that craft, that comes from years of listening, and more years of telling. And now — I’m still listening, drafting, drawing and telling.
These calligraphics were done for a series of overlaid letters for the Mulleavy Sisters, the chief designers and founders of Rodarte.
I’ve been writing to them; and they’ve been writing to me.
These writings are about the idea of story, on story, on story — fabricated.
For in the fabric, there is the story — fabric is the sutra of the loom, the picture cloud of message.
Tim | Vancouver, British Columbia
GIRVIN | BUILDING BRANDSTORIES
EXPERIENCE DESIGN | THE STRATEGY OF MEMORY
girvin profiles and communities:
Alltop network: http://my.alltop.com/TGirvin
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/girvindesign